Burroughs Funeral Home was founded by Ivey R. Burroughs, Elizabeth N. Burroughs and Luther Fowler in August of 1941. The funeral home was located in downtown Walnut Cove in the Burroughs family residence. Ray Burroughs joined the family business in 1962 and bought Mr. Fowler’s interest. The funeral home was relocated to Highway 65 when construction of the building was completed in October 1972. Mr. Burroughs never saw the new building finished due to his death in March of 1972. His son and wife continued the business and were joined by Ray’s daughter Anita in February 1982 and subsequently his son, Bart in 1986. In 1994, Ray and Elizabeth made the decision to retire, and the funeral home was acquired by Forbis and Dick. Mr. Ray Burroughs died January 27, 2000 and Elizabeth Burroughs died on December 4, 2002. Anita Burroughs-Mabe worked as manager of Burroughs Funeral Home until her retirement in 2009. Anita died June 22, 2010.
Terry Smith, joined the Forbis and Dick family in November 1998 and began his career at Forbis and Dick-Brooke Chapel and other locations within the company. Terry became the manager at Burroughs Funeral Home in December 2009. To meet the growing needs of our community, Burroughs Funeral Home completed an extensive renovation project in June of 2013. A new, large visitation room was added, as well as a new selection room and a conference room. The entire building was upgraded with new carpet, painting, furniture and fixtures.
As we approach our seventy-third year serving our community and our twentieth year as a member of the Forbis and Dick family, our commitment to the citizens of Walnut Cove and Stokes County remains that as was expressed by our founders; “We will provide service second to none, delivered with compassion and professionalism that exceeds expectations.”